Sunday, December 28, 2014

State Champs - The Acoustic Things


I want to start this review by stating that I've never heard any music by State Champs, the album was suggested by my friend last night. This opinion is purely based off of this album with no comparison to their other music. Having said that, I will be listening to their other albums in the near future to check out their "normal" sound. Also, I want to let you know that I do these reviews as I am listening to them to give you raw feelings...on with the review!

Simple, yet visually appealing cover. The English teacher side of my brain tells me that this may be hinting at the lighter tone of the album. The other half says they chose that album cover because they thought it looked nice. 

There are only 7 tracks, and that's because your ears can only handle so much beauty. The singer, whose name is Derek DiScanio, has an impressive handle on his voice. He sings with rougher vocals throughout the entire album, which is aesthetically pleasing to my ears. I appreciate when bands can keep their edge even when doing acoustic albums, like Alex Gaskarth in the song Remembering Sunday (All Time Low-So Wrong, It's Right). 

Favorite tracks from this album include:
Hard To Please- "I think I'm just afraid to fall". Take chances and break your mold. Sometimes We get too attached to what we know and never risk failure. I also enjoy the layering of vocals in this track

Easy Enough- "I just wanna be more than a memory". Well-rounded song from the lyrics to the guitar chords. I especially favor the ending when the instrumentals drop out and only the vocals ring out for a couple more verses

I would suggest this specific album to people that enjoy bands such as All Time Low, La Dispute, The Story So Far, 

This album came out this year in October, and I'm quite sad that I haven't heard it until now. I can't wait to listen to more of their music.

until next time, Erinn xx

**also I want you to know that I'll have an album cover opinion in each review because I'm an artist and album covers are something I take a bit of time looking at when I check out cds**

Any albums you want me to review? Just comment them below and I'll check them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment